W-2 Frequently Asked Questions

1. When will I receive my W-2 from TCU?

The W-2s will be available at https://www.paperlessemployee.com/tcu  no later than January 31, as required by the Internal Revenue Service.

2. What do I need to do?

To receive your W-2 online, please follow the instructions at http://hr.tcu.edu/forms-library/w-2-information/.

3.  I no longer work with TCU, how do I get my W2?

For those who no longer work here at TCU, go to https://www.paperlessemployee.com/tcu enter your username and password. All TCU W2’s are available thru a third party vendor paperless employee.

4.  What do I do if I have forgotten my username or password for the W2 paperless employee website?

If you have forgotten your username or password, go to https://www.paperlessemployee.com/tcu, click the link forgot User ID or password, then follow the instructions on-line or see detailed instructions here:  W2 Forgotten ID or password.

5. Why do the year-to-date gross wages on my paycheck not match the Box 1 wages on my W-2?

Gross year-to-date wages includes all compensation paid to an employee. Box 1 reports taxable federal withholding wages that may be different from “Total Compensation.” Box 1 Wages = total compensation minus Section 125 deductions (See below) minus 403(b) deductions.

6. What is included in Total Compensation?

Total Compensation is your base pay plus overtime, holiday, sick, vacation or other extra compensation received by the employee.

7. What is a ‘Section 125’ deduction?

Under IRS section 125, the IRS allows for certain employee paid deductions to be excluded from federal taxable wages. For example: health, dental or vision insurance.

8. What is a 403(b) deduction?

Under IRS section 403(b), the IRS allows for certain employee paid deductions for the purpose of retirement to be excluded from federal taxable wages. At TCU, our retirement contributions – both regular and supplemental – meet the requirements for the 403(b) exclusion.

9. Why does the amount in Box 1 (federal taxable wages) not match Box 3 (social security taxable wages) and/or Box 5 (Medicare taxable wages)? Why does Box 3 not match Box 5?

Each type of tax has a different definition for taxable wages:
Box 1 = Total Compensation – Section 125 deductions – 403(b) deductions.
Box 3 = Total Compensation – Section 125 deductions + TCU paid Basic Life Imputed income (if applicable).
*Medicare tax is the only tax with a limit. This limit changes each year.
Box 5 = Total Compensation – Section 125 deductions.

10. What does the code in Box 12 mean?

Box 12: Deferred Compensation and Other Compensation. There are several types of compensation and benefits that can be reported in Box 12. Box 12 will report a single letter or double letter code followed by a dollar amount. Here are the codes for Box 12:

  • A: Uncollected social security or RRTA tax on tips reported to your employer
  • B: Uncollected Medicare tax on tips reported to your employer (but not Additional Medicare Tax)
  • C: Taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000
  • D: Contributions to your 401(k) plan
  • E: Contributions to your 403(b) plan
  • F: Contributions to your 408(k)(6) plan
  • G: Contributions to your 457(b) plan
  • H: Contributions to your 501(c)(18)(D) plan
  • J: Non-taxable sick pay
  • K: 20% excise tax on excess golden parachute payments
  • L: Substantiated employee business expense reimbursements
  • M: Uncollected social security or RRTA tax on taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (only applies to former employees)
  • N: Uncollected Medicare tax on taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (but not Additional Medicare Tax) (only applies to former employees)
  • P: Excludable moving expense reimbursements paid directly to a member of the U.S. Armed Forces (not included in box 1, 3, or 5)
  • Q: Nontaxable combat pay
  • R: Company contributions to an Archer MSA
  • S: Contributions to your 408(p) SIMPLE plan
  • T: Employer-provided adoption benefits
  • V: Income from the exercise of non-statutory stock options
  • W: Company contributions (including employee contributions through a cafeteria plan) to an employee’s health savings account (HSA)
  • Y: Deferrals under section 409A on an nonqualified deferred compensation plan
  • Z: Income under a nonqualified deferred compensation plan that fails to satisfy section 409A. This amount is subject to an additional 20% tax plus interest.
  • AA: Designated Roth contributions under a section 401(k) plan
  • BB: Designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan
  • DD: Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage.
  • EE: Designated Roth contributions under a governmental section 457(b) plan
  • FF: Permitted benefits under a qualified small employer health reimbursement arrangement
  • GG: Income from qualified equity grants under section 83(i)
  • HH: Aggregate deferrals under section 83(i)

11. How do I report my dependent care from my W-2?

Refer to IRS Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, for instructions on how to report this information on your tax return. For additional information, contact your tax preparer or the IRS.

12. What do I do if my address is wrong on my W-2?

An incorrect address does not invalidate your W-2 and does not require a corrected W-2.  Of course, we want your valid address in our database for future communications that may be sent to you. You have the ability to verify any of your benefits and update your address & phone number on Employee Self Service at my.tcu.edu.

13. How do I request a reprint of my W-2 because I did not receive it in the mail, lost it, accidentally destroyed it or I need it for mortgage loans?

Go to https://www.paperlessemployee.com/tcu to reprint your W-2 (up to five years).

14. Who do I contact if I think my W-2 is wrong?

E-mail HRW2@tcu.edu or contact Human Resources at 817-257-7790 and ask to speak to the Payroll department.